SANTO STEFANO DI CADORE
Santo Stefano rises at the confluence of the Padola torrent in the Piave river and is the most important centre of Comelico. Besides the main town, the municipal territory includes the hamlets of Campolongo, Costalissoio and Casada and other smaller villages.
Santo Stefano is a tourist resort especially in summer and is the ideal base for walks, excursions and trips to the other towns and villages of Comelico; relaxing and enchanting are the itineraries along the left bank of the Piave river, towards Campolongo and on the right bank of the Padola torrent towards Casada and Campitello, among green meadows, at the edge of the woods, accompanied by the sound of the flowing water, or along the paths that climb the slopes of the mountains that surround the village.
SAN PIETRO DI CADORE
San Pietro di Cadore, located at 1038 meters above sea level, is halfway between Santo Stefano di Cadore and Sappada. This town is set among the mountains and surrounded by centuries-old woods and green meadows.
In San Pietro di Cadore you can visit the Villa Poli de Pol, one of the most spectacular residences in the province of Belluno, which was built in the seventeenth century by the family of the same name, which became rich thanks to the wood trade. This palace is the seat of the town hall and inside it preserves frescoes of considerable artistic value.
The parish of San Pietro Apostolo was founded in 1857 after the detachment from that of Santo Stefano. The church, which was originally in Gothic style and dates back to the thirteenth century, was renovated in the eighteenth century and inside preserves an altarpiece by Marco Vecellio.
The hamlets of San Pietro are Valle, Presenaio and Costalta.
Also part of San Pietro di Cadore is Val Visdende, the “Temple of God, the Hymn to the Creator” as Pope John Paul II consecrated it during his visit in July 1987.